Fox Valley Sports Car Club Forum  

Go Back   Fox Valley Sports Car Club Forum > FVSCC Talk > Tech Department

Old 03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Derek26

Default Miata Suspension

Looking to get back in the game this year and the Mazdaspeed need new suspension. I'm looking at Koni Yellow with either Flyin' Miata spring (318#/233#) or 375#/250# ground control kit. Any body have experience with similar spring rate? How to they ride on the street? The car is used for long trips sometimes so it needs to be reasonable.
Derek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Kiesgen117

Send a message via AIM to Kiesgen117

Good to hear!

Those rates wont be bad at all, they are actually fairly soft, the Koni's are the best bang for the buck shock for the miata out there, for simplicity the Bilstien HD's wouldn't be a bad idea with those rates either. We have 700lbs front and 450 rear with the shortened / race valved koni's and its firm but livable on the street. however top-hats and tires will play a large part in ride as well.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
nuskool

I'll be ordering Feal suspension very soon for my 03 SE. Shooting for 12k/7k (close to 700/400) we'll see how Feal feels about that.
koni with FM springs should be good.
I've driven on Xida with 700/400 and it was sublime. Its more about how good the dampers are than how much spring you have.

Please ask for details
Tom
920-450-2860

Last edited by nuskool; 03-13-2014 at 09:01 PM.
nuskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
Derek26

I've read the Xida are great, as well as FatCat Motorsport. But I simply don't have/don't want to spend $2k+ on suspension. Cars are not the only hobby anymore.

I'm leaning toward Koni/GC since I'll have good adjustable dampers with spring options.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
nuskool

On second thought considering your goals, you already have an MSM which means you have some billies. As I understand it they are very under sprung. Getting the FM springs may be all you need.

Otherwise I would consider the FM Vmaxx Classics. Or 949 has a new item coming soon that emphasises comfort but should still be very good on the track. Should be around $700.

Please ask for details
Tom
920-450-2860
Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
nuskool

I only mentioned the Xida to point out the fact that it has more to do with the damper than the spring.
The damper needs to be matched to the spring. I think most quality dampers have a good range for different spring rates. But never the less you don't want to use a damper that can handle 300-600 lb springs on a 200 lb or 700 lb spring.

Your MSM billies should do well with the FM springs.

I have been in contact with a guy that works for Adrenaline Racing out in Oregon. He has a lot of experience with Miata suspension. He likes Bilstein. Does not like Koni. Sure they last, but he claims that when put on a shock dyno you won't find any 2 that are alike. And the adjustment on one may be completely different on the other.

I think with the spring rates you're looking at, adjustment is over rated. I'm waiting for Feal to get back in touch with me right now. If they don't do so soon I may end up going with GC and Bilstein Sports or HD. and probably either 550/350 or 500/325. I've seen a number of reports that suggest it is still a comfortable ride at those rates with that shock. There are other things on the market, but not much else in that price range that compares to the quality you get with Bilstein..... even though it isn't adjustable.

But if I were looking to keep my rates lower as you are, I would be looking at Vmaxx Classics, Tecna (which is soon to be released by 949) or just getting the FM springs for the shocks you already have.

Please ask for details
Tom
920-450-2860
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Derek26

I'm actually ordering the adjustable FM VMaxx instead. Consider they cost the same as Koni/GC but are matched set, there's really no reason not to. Plus I can order the stiffer springs from them later if I wanted.

The MSM dampers are pretty good, although it seems to be a little weak on high speed damping. I seriously doubt they can handle >50% stiffer spring with close to 60,000mi on them.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
nuskool

There is a guy that seems to have a fair amount of Miata suspension experience on miata. Net that bbc.co paired them with 550 in the front and claims they are great. Bilsteins probably have a longer life span than any other brand shock. 60k is nothing.

Please ask for details
Tom
920-450-2860