Fox Valley Sports Car Club Forum  

Go Back   Fox Valley Sports Car Club Forum > FVSCC Talk > Tech Department

Old 10-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Dijie

Default Question on subframe brace

Hi everyone!

Kristie here, with the red Integra GSR. ^_^

I'm looking to eliminate some of my terrible body roll. One of the places I'm addressing this will be changing out the stock rear sway (14mm) for a larger rear sway bar (20mm+).

While doing my research, I've come across info that Hondas like to tear their rear subframes apart when a large diameter rear sway is used and the car is driven at its limits often. I have no intention of changing my spring rates at this time, so larger sway bar + soft springs = a lot of force applied to the sway bar and its mounting points.

In light of this information, it seems that the smart thing to do is to install a rear subframe brace. What this looks like installed (aftermarket brace and sway): http://www.civicperformanceparts.com...Brace-Kit2.jpg

Finally, my question: Would adding a subframe brace disqualify me from Street category? I find conflicting information on the net about this. The rules state (13.7 C, pg 75 of the 2014 rules) that "... Non-standard lateral members which connect between the brackets for the bar are not permitted." I have no idea if a subframe brace falls under this category or if this is addressing the use of a lower arm bar (http://www.maxaudio.com.my/images/up...UR-RL2-635.JPG) or maybe it applies to both!

I don't want to throw some huge rear sway on and have it be overkill (I don't need my tail end getting *that* happy) so maybe a 20mm - 22mm would be more appropriate and avoid subframe stresses.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give!
Dijie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
snoxracer183

Send a message via AIM to snoxracer183 Send a message via Yahoo to snoxracer183

Subframe brace will remove you from Street category.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Dijie

Thanks snoxracer183.

Now to determine if I want to stay competitive in autox or make my car everything that I want it to be. Leaning towards the latter. :-)
Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
SgtRauksauff

My vote: make your car how you want it, and let the chips fall where they may as far as classing goes. It may not put you at the very top of your class, but it gives you a really good incentive to tighten that loose nut behind the wheel to stay competitive with those that are modded to the hilt just to win a class..

--sarge
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Saab-ert

Send a message via AIM to Saab-ert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRauksauff View Post
My vote: make your car how you want it, and let the chips fall where they may as far as classing goes. It may not put you at the very top of your class, but it gives you a really good incentive to tighten that loose nut behind the wheel to stay competitive with those that are modded to the hilt just to win a class..

--sarge
I agree with this 100%. My car is usually in one of the highest classes, even though I'm still a few seconds behind those guys. But I just pick friends or similar cars and "compete" against them. I'm out there for fun with my daily, not for a trophy. If a trophy happens, awesome!
Saab-ert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Dijie

I'm totally with you guys on making your car what you want, SCCA classing be damned. I mean, I can either stay in GS and get stomped by the Fiesta ST and GTI's or I can move over to ST-something and get beat by whatever... yeah, I've been doing a lot of whining about that lately. :P

However, something magical happened with my car recently. I indulged in some "retail therapy" and bought Koni Sports for my car. OH MY GOD WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I had complained about my car's handling all summer, looked at all the pictures of the massive body roll I had going on, and believed people when they said "Your shocks aren't bad, it's your soft springs." I may have soft springs, but after putting the Koni's on, I can 100% tell you it was the shocks. It's back to being the car I fell in love with when I first took it for a test drive.

Driving at the Miller Park autox was like having a completely different car. It handled in ways I didn't expect it to, which is to say it handled as it should have, just not what I was used to! In the three weeks that I've had the new shocks on, I've found that techniques that were seemingly useless before now actually work. Like that awesome thing where I can give it more gas to counteract body roll in a tight corner. Now my car flattens out and gains more speed, as opposed to just feeling like I'm going to roll over on my roof. Letting off the gas actually helped with understeer this time. I have grip in corners as opposed to feeling like I was cornering in sand. My car now works like it should!

I'm going to hold off on any more mods. Well, a few bushings need to be replaced next spring, but I'm going OEM rubber for those.

Now it's time for me to learn to properly drive my car. I had a blast playing with tire pressure and shock gas adjustment at Miller Park. There's enough variability in those things to keep me busy for another season.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in on this!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
delsolluke

Anything bigger than a stock rear sway bar you should have a rear sub frame brace. I use a 19mm bar and an ASR brace on the Delsol. I'm also in SMF class though. I use the stock 21mm front bar and full body coil overs.